Sunday, April 19, 2009

Reflection #4


I took this picture on Spring Break '07. For those who haven't been to DC this is a picture of the Vietnam memorial with a reflection. No real big significance to the reflection to which I'm about to write.

This post is mostly to reflect on the course overall. I really enjoyed the way the course as a whole the starting with the Civil War and proceeding into the present. The songs and the readings all were a vital piece to help the class as a whole learn who "we" really are.

What I personally have learned is that you shouldn't take everything you learn as a fact, that even what prof Hass and our GSI's say aren't necessarily the whole truth. "We" must question everything, be curious, and be the ones that step up and be the change we want to see. I really hope that everyone walks away from this class with these three principles, so to speak. And just maybe more and more people will understand the "we."

3 comments:

  1. I really like the picture you took! I totally agree with your take on the class. I definitely began to question the media and newspapers, fiends and family, teachers... evryone. This class has taught me that you must question everyone and everything so that you can be more sure of what the truth really is. It allows you to do more research and check the facts to see what makes the most sense to you. This leads to another question we discussed in our last discussion, does the truth really matter? or is it more our persepective?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Its sort of sad that it took me until senior year to have an intro class to teach me this. I wish more classes were taught like this one and or gave you a more eye opening message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I also hope that more people were inspired or changed by this class. I liked the openness of the discussions especially, I could see a lot of people expanding their minds.

    ReplyDelete