Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Reflection #3

Although I have enjoyed almost all of the readings we have been assigned during this course, Crawford’s “The Last True Story I’ll Ever Tell” touched me on another level. I think the main reason this piece affected me more is because it told a story about the war that is currently being fought. Going through the other readings I was not surprised to find that there were many aspects of history that I had either been mis-taught, or never learned at all. However, after reading The Last True Story I’ll Ever Tell, I was shocked to discover how little I know about the current wars. Although I know the basic background and reasons we initially became involved in the war, I never realized how much I have lost track of what is going on overseas. Crawford’s storytelling technique not only helped me to get a better grasp on the state of the war, but also made it seem more real. Unlike many other people, I don’t know anyone who is currently serving in the armed forces and I have never really felt personally affected by the war. However, after reading Crawford’s account I started to feel a stronger connection to the American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan who are risking their lives everyday for our country. I don’t want to say that I have taken their services for granted, but rather I was just never really aware about all that they were going through.

After thinking about this for awhile, I started to become very disturbed by how little information we are actually given about the current war. It seems like in previous wars the country came together in support of the troops, offering aid and helping in anyway that they could. However, now I feel like everyday we are hearing less and less about the war and the conditions the soldiers are facing in Iraq. Most of the war coverage in the media is focused on the Obama administration, and what they are trying to do to end the war. There is rarely any footage or stories told about the actual men and women who are fighting. I had never really noticed this before reading Crawford’s piece, and now that I have, I am curious to know why. Because the fighting overseas has lasted far longer than initially expected, I’m guessing the government is trying to downplay the war, hoping to avoid scrutiny. However, I think this is unacceptable. I believe they need to make a more conscious effort to inform the public about the current state of the war and not let it be forgotten before it is even over.

No comments:

Post a Comment