Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reflection #4

I have found this week's lectures and reading very interesting. I thought the reading was really interesting and I enjoyed it more than previous readings. I thought it was interesting for a few reasons. First, I found it was easier to relate to than other readings. Of course, I'm not a soldier and I will never know what it is like to be in war, but it is about something that is still going on and we have been around to experience. We have learned about WWII and the Vietnam War, but we could not relate to the Herr and Pyle readings as much because it was before our time. Also what was different about this story, is that is was written by a soldier, not a journalist. I don't want to go into too much detail about comparing the readings because it's a final exam question, but of course I found it interesting just because of the difference in tone of the stories, as well as the difference in the actual content.
Another thing I found interesting this week was the lecture yesterday about war memorials. I was not really familiar with any of the memorials so it was interesting seeing the pictures and hearing the stories of how they were designed and built. I was particularly interested in the Memorial to Women in Military Service. Although it didn't surprise me too much that once again women were discriminated against, through the design and building of the memorial. It, of course, made me a bit angry that even women who served for our country cannot get proper recognition. It is a shame that there isn't even a sign or plaque to recognize what the memorial is. Also, I wasn't even aware this memorial existed! I'm sure a lot of other people aren't familiar with it and that probably stems from the fact that it is barely on the mall, has no signs, and wasn't even paid for or supported by our government.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also surprised when she mentioned the memorial for women who served. I have not personally visited any of the memorials, but I have at least heard of them. On the contrary, this was my first time learning about the women's memorial. I think this speaks volumes about how the nation views women. The memorial is almost meaningless. I wouldn't be surprised of they changed the name of the memorial in the future, and completely left women out of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that these stories were much easier to relate with compared to the other authors. His style of writing and how he described his experience during the war was so well written that I felt that I was right next to him in the the different situations. What I found most interesting was that in every illustration he described, his men were not equipped or did not have the proper gear for the situations. For example, in the sandstorm his party had no means of destroying a tank, even though they were near enemy lines. What does this say about our government and it commitment to keep our soldiers safe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to Adam's post, I believe the lack of survival artillery derives from the lack of planning, knowledge and communication within facilitators of war. I say lack of knowledge leads to lack of 'goods' in terms of spontaneous acts of war, which further relates to the lack of communication among the soldiers and their superiors, linking all the way to the President. I think a major issue we should question in todays society is our present war.

    ReplyDelete