Thursday, April 23, 2009

Reflection 4 (Final Thoughts)

I wanted to take a moment to reflect on this course and how it has allowed me to see America and its "Culture." As I stated on the last day of discussion, I did not think that America had a culture because we do not have key identifiers like some other countries found in other parts of the world. But if you examine our history, it is apparent that there are key identifiers during certain periods of our history that collectively create an American Culture. Our culture, unlike many others, if fluid and it changes over a period of time.
As I think of the times we are in now, I see a new culture emerging, and we can help it come to fruition. I believe that with all of the economic and world issues that we are experiencing, we could establish a period of reform. Our new culture could be centered around reforming the world and our nation.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that that America does have a culture but it is a culture that has been mixed and thrown together with hundreds of different backgrounds. I always believed America had a unique culture but this class has enforced, at least in my mind, that the US takes different aspects of other cultures and uses it as it own. This can be seen in the King Tut reading, playing Indians..etc

    ReplyDelete