Thursday, March 19, 2009

Redlining: Institutionalized Racism

The video that we watched in Lecture this week regarding the red lining that occurred across the Unites States was eye-opening to me not only because the film discussed the history of the freeway I-75, located in my hometown of Detroit, MI; but also because I still see the very real effects of this red lining in my community and many others around the Detroit area. As a native Detroiter, I have been exposed to the areas of extreme poverty that envelope my city--from abandoned homes to littered parks, I have become accustomed to seeing my hometown in this sad condition. After viewing the video, however, it is clear that there were actually systematic policies that led to Detroit's current crisis as whites were rewarded for moving to the suburbs and blacks were deterred from purchasing homes in white communities. 
As the video stated, many whites did not want to live amongst black neighbors because they feared that the property value of all the houses in that neighborhood would decrease. Thus, the federal government found a way to keep white future home-owners happy and free from the "problem" that the African-Americans posed. The government began making it nearly impossible for blacks to purchase homes in "green lined" areas (which were generally white homogenous areas) by restricting their ability to get loans and move into areas that did not want them. This is terribly sad as, although many African-Americans fought in the war and should have benefitted from the GI Bill, they continued to experience institutionalized marginalization and discrimination.
Another thing that the video explained was the complete destruction of the thriving black communities in Detroit in the 20s and 30s, Black Bottom and Paradise Valley. It is probably no accident that the freeway that allowed whites easy access to the downtown Detroit area to enjoy a bit of the city (I-75), simultaneously destroyed communities in which blacks were able to prosper. Of course, the bulldozing of a white neighborhood would be abominable, thus, this decision to get rid of Black Bottom and Paradise Valley demonstrates the constant attempts of the federal government to divide and segregate race and class.
Additionally, it is amazing, almost scary, to me how often I use I-75 to run errands, visit friends or just to hang out downtown. I never would have imagined that such an integral part of my daily life holds with it such deep-rooted implications. I can definitely, as Professor Hass stated, now understand these historical underpinnings and be a more educated and more knowledgeable individual for that. Needless to say, I am glad I saw the video and cannot help but be aware of Detroit's history from now on. It was a worthwhile and much-appreciated lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment