Saturday, March 14, 2009

Reflection #2

I thought that this weeks readings were all great in shedding light on events that have happened in the US's history, even those events that don't always seem to get recognized.

The biggest example of this was the Okihiro article about the Japanese-American interment camps. I find it very interesting that a majority of them still wanted to show that they were American by erecting fences and carrying on with American traditions such as 4th of July parades. It was also interesting that the US government went into the camps and asked for recruits for the military. If I was in that situation I don't think I would be too willing to serve in a capacity, such as the military, for a country that had just uprooted my family, and placed me in a barbwire enclosure or in a "renovated" horse stable with no privacy. It just seems absurd.

Ernie's correspondents, I found to be also interesting on how he had illustrated the war for the people back at home. Though hes accounts were watered down and definitely not really geared toward telling the people at home exactly what was happening in the war itself, but more of like here's a story about how your son is doing and some of the things that he sees. Stories to try and keep morale up about the war, and I feel this is the reason why he came to hate the soldiers and the war itself. He didn't hate the soldiers themselves but just the idea and the situation that they had to do and go thru.

1 comment:

  1. I agree regarding the internment camps. I find it very interesting how the Japanese-Americans remained patriotic, if you will, despite the hardships placed on them by the government. I believe I would have felt betrayed in that situation, and would have found it difficult to remain optimistic and excited about the place I called home. I admire those that were still able to fight for the U.S., even after all of the unnecessary struggle they faced and would consider that a true act of patriotism.

    ReplyDelete