Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reflection #3

Today in discussion we did the photo activity where we analyzed two pictures and tried to interpret what the image conveyed. I found this very interesting because I have never analyzed a photo before. Some of the ideas that we came up with as a class never occurred to me, and made me realize that there is a lot more to photography than I thought. I remember someone saying that the worker in one of the photos was the focus of the picture, and represented a bigger idea because his identity was hidden. I would have never looked at it in this way and initially just saw a guy working. Some of the other ideas that were mentioned included the symmetry of the picture representing the order of the time, the tool the worker was holding representing the industrial period, and the photo as a whole representing a since of patriotism because of the mens efforts in the war. All these ideas really opened my eyes to how much a picture can really tell you.
This week we also talked a lot about Dorothea Lange and her methods as a photographer. She tried to capture the actions of her subjects to convey her message. I also found it interesting how her initial photo was only taken so that her subjects would be comfortable, and then she tried to get more candid photos. I find her pictures interesting and after today’s discussion I see her photos in a whole new way. I think she did a great job in showing the poverty conditions during the Great Depression and I believe that her message got across to her viewers. I thought that this week’s discussion was very helpful and I will use what I learned in my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment