Saturday, January 31, 2009

In discussion we talked about where/how different education systems teach about subjects such as the Holocaust and the battle of Little Bighorn. I definitely agree that schools ought to start educating children at a younger age about such 'unpleasant' realities of the past. I believe, even at a very young age, children have the capacity to understand the implications behind such events. In elementary school, I had a teacher who taught extensively on the Holocaust, and it completely opened my eyes to something I couldn't have even fathomed to exist. I wondered how such atrocities could have occurred; yet, I was completely oblivious to the genocide of the Indians. In fact, in elementary school I never really even thought about real, live Native Americans. I only thought of them as something of the past (just as the exterminators of the Indians intended to do- make Indians a part of the past and further, to write it in history in a way to perpetuate this idea).

It is also true that schools teach by the government standards of which history books are written by the 'white man'. In truth, I didn't really know anything about Custer and the battle of Little Bighorn. To me, it was buried under all the other dates and battles I had vaguely been introduced to in middle/high school. If I had learned about it in the way the book "Killing Custer" had rendered it, it definitely would have been an unforegettable event in my mind. Again, children should be taught about such important subjects at an earlier age. With that, they can grow to better understand the implications and repercussions behind these events, not only of which occurred in the past but are sadly still present in modern day.

No comments:

Post a Comment